Thursday, September 12, 2019

Thurs Sept 12. Endless ride to and from Cameron


We had high hopes this morning.   Left at 8.  Photo of Stu and the bike right before we left.   Weather forecast for 85-90 high all weekend, light winds,  yeah!   So off we went on the 43 year old Gold Wing.  It has about 21,000 original miles on it.













Alas, the forces of evil found us.   We stopped for lunch in Cameron Az.  As I get off the bike (I being Hilo), Stu looks at me and says “where is the saddlebag?”   I just look confused.   And so I look where he is pointing and there is nothing there.   No right saddlebag.  Somewhere between Verde Valley and Cameron, it disappeared.   So we had a good lunch at the trading post, bought gas and headed home.



The missing saddlebag had all Hilo’s stuff in it, all Stu’s pills and his shoes.   No way we could keep going up to the VJMC weekend in Kanab.  So we turned around and spent the ride home gazing longingly over at the other lane of traffic hoping to see a 43 year old piece of saddlebag on the road.   No such luck.





So the adventure ends after 475 miles of riding today.   We are safe and sound.

Ah, and I forgot to mention the tachometer started howling right before Cameron and the needle swung wildly, as did the temperature needle.   By the time we got home, the noise was loud enough that people we passed in the street could hear...Sounded like a really bad singer warbling away ;)
As I write this tonight at 8, Stu is searching eBay for another tachometer.   He figured out our tail trunk is the exact same luggage as the missing saddlebag so he will move that around.   Instead of a tail trunk, he will put on a back rest for me.   So the catastrophe migrated into a bunch of work for Stu but is fixable probably.   The tach is still the wildcard.   Hard to believe that the world does not have boxes of new 1976 Honda gold wing tachometers sitting around for sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment